Thursday, September 23, 2010

School days (daze)

So school is in full swing and I'm officially a learner again. After just a few weeks in class, I've come to a realization - I never tried all that hard to get good grades. School always just came easily to me, I was one of those (very lucky) kids who could skate by with A's, doing just the bare minimum. I wasn't a great studier, because I didn't have to be. My idea of studying hard was laying on my bed, alternating between sighing loudly and taking breaks to watch reruns of Boy Meets World. Yeah. That's a true confession.

Fast forward to Grad School.

It is increasingly apparent that I can't get by with doing the bare minimum anymore. The amount of work is slightly crushing and the expectations to excel are incredibly high (from both my professors and myself). And I now find myself thinking back to all the times I spent skating through classes and I feel a need to slap myself upside the head. Why in the world did I not take advantage of everything I had in front of me? All the excellent teachers and professors, the interesting classes, the great school supplies Mom used to buy me...I'm disappointed in myself. I could have done better.

The good news is, I find everything interesting and applicable, which makes studying and sitting in class so much easier. The bad news is, I have no life, and will have no life, for the next two years. I was warned of this, so I can't complain. But I will anyways, because that's what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment