Thursday, March 17, 2011

Come on, express yourself!

The other day I was talking about someone who had pissed me off and who - to be perfectly frank - rightfully deserved the verbal lashing I was handing out. It was witty and snarky and cathartic and made me feel so much better - until I thought about how I had started the conversation.

"I hate to be a bitch, but..."

Wait, what? I "hate" to be a bitch? Didn't this person, who super pissed me off and was a total jerk, deserve to accept the wrath of my inner bitch? If they're simply a horrible human being, shouldn't I feel somewhat confident in making whatever comment I want without feeling the need to set myself up as a good person?

Short answer? Uh, yeah.

Why is it that whenever we feel the need to make a comment Jesus might not approve of, we're always so quick to frame that comment in a way that makes it seem like "hey, I don't say this often because I'm a really nice, compassionate, forgiving person, but...". Why, when we're mad and we DESERVE to be mad, can't we just feel comfortable saying it?

In essence, what's so wrong with being a bitch?

So next time someone pisses me off here's the process.
1) Take a deep breath. 
2) Calm down
3) Slap them in the mouth

No comments:

Post a Comment